6/21/18

NCBG BCP June 2018

I did some more white in between classes. More still to do.

I started adding color.  For demonstration purposes I have worked more on some small areas when normally I would work on the entire piece and finish it as a whole.  I used canary yellow, peacock blue, grass green and white on the leaves. first I layered the entire leaf, even the white highlight, with yellow.  next I layered the leaf with peacock blue avoiding the highlight areas.  I then used grass green and did also carefully go over the highlight areas. I layer these colors until I get good coverage.  I used extra yellow on the middle vein of the leaves to get the yellow green.  I then use white to shape the highlights, stems, veins and edged.  I use peacock blue yellow as a shadow.  Remember the gradate shadows and highlights.  Scribble to get texture.  The brown stem/branch was made with white, yellow, and red (either or both reds, crimson or carmine, will work).  I used white for highlights and a little extra blue (true blue I think?) for the shadows. For the flower I used both reds, more white and a little yellow on the red parts.  The part above/around the red I used grass green, canary yellow and carmine red plus white.  The main thing is work in light layers and build your color and value.  Pay attention especially to the values.

I started this with carmine red gradating as I moved toward the white.  I used a stump to blend.  I added true blue to make the purple areas and added crimson red and true blue plus a little canary yellow in the darker area of the berry.  I have a little more work to do to refine this one.  I used peacock blue and started adding a background so the white of the berry will show up.  We will go over this piece more in the next class.  Just try one berry this week.  Don't use white, use the white of the paper and your stik tack and eraser to help.