10/5/17

Sertoma Continuing Watercolor September and October 2017

I glazed the background with a muted purple (I used ultramarine blue, quin rose and quin gold).  I will finish this with more darks and details.  It still needs work, the detail work I showed you on the rooster.

This is how the rooster looked last week after class.

This is how the rooster looks after  some of the finishing detail work I do on paintings towards the end.  I focused on the head area adding lights, darks, and details.  This part is drawing with watercolor.  I will do a bit more before being done.  I also showed you how to use white gouache on this one.  But remember, some of you will not be detail oriented and could stop earlier than I will.  I do the detail because I enjoy it and like how it looks.  But it is not always necessary.

I worked on the beard and hair with a gray watercolor and white gouache.  I worked on the scarf, the shirt, and glasses and the hat.  On the scarf I put in shadows and then later glazed it with purple.  On the hat I put in the shadows and then later started putting in the plaid.  Overall this needs more darks and details.

I started this by wetting everything except the flower.  I mixed several greens and dropped them in.  I kept lifting the light areas on the leaves with a watercolor brush (that was dried on my towel).  I also dropped in some red.  I let this dry.  Then I made the greens darker and mixed a dark background color.  I started putting the dark into the background (for demonstration purposes I did not finish the background).  I then started working on leaves adding darks.  After things dried a bit I worked on the flower.  I wet the big dark petal and used a mix of  my warm and cool reds (quin rose and pyrrole scarlet).  I dropped that in and then added some quin gold. I used the mix of reds at various strengths (changed with water) on the flower petals.  I used a yellow green at the base of the flower.  I will add dakrs and details all over this painting as needed to finish.