10/3/17

BAL Mixed Media, October 2017

Transferred the gorilla drawing to the watercolor paper ( I used Cotman cold press 140 lb.).  First I wet the gorilla and dropped in color.  I used the primaries.  Use colors you like.  I then splattered the painting on the gorilla and background.  After that dried I mixed 3 darks - a warm, a cool, and a more neutral dark (I used my primaries to make these darks). Then I started painting the darks adding texture.  I am not finished and you can see the colors underneath in areas.  I will finish painting the dark before adding colored pencil.

I am working on arches 140 lb. hot press paper.  This piece was started by wetting the paper (very wet) and dropping in color and moving it around.  Then I used salt for the texture.  After that was dry I glazed a yellow to diminish the brightness of the salt texture.  Then I started with white colored pencil doing a value study.  Normally I would finish with the white before adding color, but for demonstration purposes I started adding the color.  I have used cadmium orange hue, scarlet lake, canary yellow and black so far.

This is from another class.  It is the start of a colored pencil on black paper.  I wanted you to see an example of the white value study before I added color.  You will do something similar on your watercolor background and then use black (or another dark) for the very dark areas (since our backgrounds aren't black like this paper).