4/11/17

DAC Intermediate drawing based WC plants March, April, May 2017

Blind contour

Thumbnails

Drawing

Started this painting wet on wet.  used a mixed green, yellow and a reddish purple on the asparagus letting it run out into the background, guiding it into the background, and dropping some in the background.  This dried light and can be seen at the top and sides of this image.  I let that dry.  Then I mixed a green (using green blue and warm yellow) and a reddish purple (using ultramarine, rose, and a tiny bit of yellow. I started at the bottom and worked my way up wet on dry.

Warm/cool color wheel.

I started by using flat and graded washes of the pink color.  It is the under painting.  I then did a darker red purple color (as seen on the bottom left grape).  The grape on the top left has an additional glaze of cool red near the back 3/4s and a warm yellow near where the stem attaches. I did a dark purple at the stem of the top left grape and shaded the stem with the dark purple to make it look round.  After that was dry I did a glaze of yellow (to make it look brown).  I added the shadow on the bottom right with the dark purple and some blue.  I then made it look fuzzy by pulling it out and adding a little water around the edge.  For demonstration purposes I left the painting in various states of completion.  When I am not doing demonstrations for class I work on the entire painting as a whole bringing it up to completion as a unit.

I continued working, started on the left grape with red purple and yellow as well as on the stem with some mixed dark green, black, and yellow.  I lifted to soften the highlight on the bottom left grape.

Worked more on the bottom 2 grapes as well as the stem.

Flat wash and graded wash.