4/3/17

DAC Intermediate drawing based WC plants March, April, May 2017

I worked on this a little more in class adding darks and lifting highlights  I worked on the stem and the main leaf near the top.  I also did a tree branch in the upper left (blown with a straw) and plan to add some of these to the background.
This is a photo of the set-up I used at home to draw the grapes.  I like to have them on a white surface (paper towels here) so that I can see the shadows.  I like one light source so I either use a lamp to create the single strong light source or I sit next to a bright window to get the single light source.

One of the blind contours.  The purpose of a blind contour is as a warm up and to focus the artist, to get them to really look at and SEE the subject they are drawing. 

Thumbnail sketches.  These are used to try various compositions, shapes, values, etc. before doing the final drawing.  

This is a sketch, a slightly more finished sketch than a thumbnail.  I did this sketch so that I could see the positive and negative shapes and the composition I had chosen a little better.

Black and white reference photo of my fruit still life.  I worked on the sketches and drawing from the grapes sitting in my studio.  I took the reference photo because fruit deteriorates or can get moved (or eaten).  I used the photo to work on the grapes in class as I did not have this set-up in class.  Reference photos are good to have.

Colored reference photo of my fruit still life.

Finished drawing transferred to watercolor paper (my original drawings are most often done on tracing paper and transferred).

The painting.  I started by using flat and graded washes of the pink color.  It is the under painting.  I then did a darker purple red color (as seen on the bottom left grape).  The grape on the top left has an additional glaze of cool red near the back 3/4s and a warm yellow near where the stem attaches. I did a dark purple at the stem of the top left grape and shaded the stem with the dark purple to make it look round.  After that was dry I did a glaze of yellow (to make it look brown).  I added the shadow on the bottom right with the dark purple and some blue.  I then made it look fuzzy by pulling it out and adding a little water around the edge.  For demonstration purposes I left the painting in various states of completion.  When I am not doing demonstrations for class I work on the entire painting as a whole bringing it up to completion as a unit.

Flat wash on the left graded wash on the right.  I worked wet on dry.

Flat wash on the left graded wash on the right.  I worked wet on dry.