1/2/17

BAL Painting People in watercolor January, 2017

The first and second passes on the girl.  I used a warm and cool red (cad red lt and rose), a warm and cool yellow (lemon yellow and raw sienna), and a cool blue (prussian).  The colors were light and very wet.  I worked upright and wet on dry. I concentrated on getting color on her skin and pulling it out into the background in some areas.  I let this dry.  The second pass was splattering color to add texture. This photo is not great, it was taken in poor light with my phone (which has a sub par camera).  

The third and fourth passes.  I started the third pass by painting the shadow areas on the girls face using the same colors plus a brown mixed with a red, yellow, and blue and a peach mixed with a red and yellow.  Vary the percentages of each color to change the brown or peach you are mixing. The fourth pass was a red made from mixing my warm and cool red.  I worked on the fabric on her scarf.  Paint fabric by paying attention to the values (and their sometimes subtle gradations) and the hard and soft edges.

The first pass on the man.  I used a warm and cool red (cad red lt and rose), a warm and cool yellow (lemon yellow and raw sienna), and a cool blue (prussian).  The colors were light and very wet.  I worked upright and wet on dry. I concentrated on getting color on his skin and pulling it out into the background in some areas.  I let this dry.  This photo is not great, it was taken in poor light with my phone (which has a sub par camera).  

The second and third passes.  I started the second pass by painting the shadow areas on his face using the same colors plus a brown mixed with a red, yellow, and blue and a peach mixed with a red and yellow.  Vary the percentages of each color to change the brown or peach you are mixing.  The third pass was on his scarf.  I painted the form shadows of the scarf in the back and the plaid pattern on the front.  Keep the plaid design simple (unless you love detail).  I have more to do, but this will get you started.