10/29/14

Continuing Watercolor (November & December 2014)

I started by wetting the background.  I left a small white area around the ornament so the color would not leak into the ornament. I dropped in cobalt blue and a mixture of cobalt and quinacridone rose and left some white.  I let this dry.  I came back and worked on the ornament dry.  I started in the darker area and pulled/guided the color out form the dark.  I used permanent alizarin and a little yellow.

I first showed you how you can wet and do each spot separately.  I then wet the area in which I was working (wet, but not supper wet) and dropped in color (burnt sienna and a tiny bit of van dyke brown) towards the middle of the spots.  It flowed outward.  I added a little van dyke brown in some areas.  I wet the mane and added stripes of color (sienna and van dyke brown).  I left the white highlighted area, but will probably add some light spots.  I also used a scrubber and lightened some of the areas around the spots.  I will work a bit on the form of the giraffe next as well as the face (we concentrated on mostly the pattern today).