10/2/14

Continuing Watercolor (September & October 2014)

I wet the background and added a dark.  The mixed dark is made mostly of colors that I have used in the painting already - cobalt, burnt sienna, alizarin, and indigo.  I will most likely add a glaze on top to soften the background patterns.  I will show you how to soften edges and 're-attach' the subject (it tends to look pasted on after adding a dark background).  I will need to finish adding details and values on the subject as well (which will also help to 're-attach' it).

I transferred the drawing onto the textured background.  I then started painting the subject paying attention to the subtle values.  Remember I worked on dry paper on the front of his face and pulled the value out with a damp brush.  On the back and top of his head I worked after wetting the paper.  

I removed the rubber cement.

I have started adding some values and colors to organize the chaos and to move the viewers eye around.  This one will work as an abstract I think.  It has a ways to go.