4/10/14

Aqueous Acrylic & Gouache (March and April 2014)

Acrylic.  I transferred the drawing onto the textured background (made by wetting the paper applying color and putting large bubble wrap on top).  I used white and started a value study with the white on the light areas.

Gouache on masonite primed with Kilz 2 and then prepped with Absorbent Ground (Golden Acrylic product).  I transferred the drawing onto the textured background (made by wetting the surface, applying color, and then adding salt when it is shiny, not a puddle).  I used white and started a value study with the white on the light areas.

Gouache.  I added some darks and then after the areas were dry I added white feather textures over the dark.  I added color to the beak (white value study first, then after dry I added color and detail).  I added some white and dark and texture to more areas.  I also softened the background near the head with water and a brush (gently).  I would do the same for acrylic (except the softening part - for that I would soften it with blue and green washes or white washes)

Acrylic and wax paper.  I wet the surface, dropped in color, placed the crumpled wax paper on top, put books on top, allowed it to dry.

Gouache and wax paper.  I wet the surface, dropped in color, placed the crumpled wax paper on top, put books on top, allowed it to dry.