2/1/21

NCBG Drawing and Painting with Watercolor Pencils, Short Course, Jan. 30, 2021


WIP.  This is the demonstration leaf that I started in the workshop as a drawing with no watercolor pencils added before class. I used this to show you how to add the pencils and then wet them after the watercolor pencil layers were on the leaf.  I have not started detailing and refining this yet.  I started adding values on the upper left side.  I demonstrated sanding, so I re-wet the upper right side and using a small metal strainer I scraped the watercolor pencils in the strainer to get a fine spotted texture on the leaf.  And of course on the top background you can see where I dropped my paintbrush and it rolled.


WIP. This is the last photo from the previous post below.  This photo is of the leaf I worked on before class to get it part of the way finished and used as an example and for demonstration during class.  I wet the right side and left the left side un-wet so you could see the difference. 

 
WIP.  This photo is of the leaf I worked on before class and also demonstrated on during class.  I demonstrated wetting the watercolor pencil on the left side during class.  I demonstrated adding more darks and darker darks using a black pencil.  I demonstrated lightening areas and adding highlights with the white pencil.  I demonstrated adding more color in areas as needed. I demonstrated adding details and refining (especially edges).  There are still areas that need the darks, lights, highlights, refining, and details.