2/21/21

GNSI-C Fun with Fur, February 2021, Mixed Media, Zebra

Step 1.  Wet the surface and drop in color.  The paper needs to be wet enough that the color moves,  I used a mixed red brown (burnt sienna will work), ultramarine blue (cobalt will work), and mixed brown (neither a red or yellow brown, burnt sienna with a little blue will work).


Step 2. After it's dry, I wet the stripes and added a dark blue (something like indigo, indanthrene blue, anthraquinone blue or phthalo blue mixed with a little yellow and red will work).  I dropped in the red brown in a few areas that are warm.  I wet the ear and also added some color to the ear.  I wet the mane and added some color there as well.


Step 3.  After its dry, I added black ink.  When I add the ink I can render it loosely as I have done here.  Or I can add it in a tighter more controlled fashion.  Either will work for this subject.

Follow the direction of the fur.


Step 4.  I then added the white ink using it in particular for breaking the straight dark edges of the stripes and mane. 

Follow the direction of the fur. 

Sometimes I finish the mixed media with the pen & ink, which would work great for this subject.  But, since I wanted to also show some colored pencil I will move on to the next step.

Step 5.  I started adding colored pencil.  I used white, black, burnt ochre, ginger root, true blue, Spanish orange.  I used it to soften some of the areas, add more texture and values.  I also started adding some details.  This is far along but not completed yet.  The end of the process is mostly looking and making adjustments.  It takes time.