1/17/19

DAC MM Jan. & Feb. 2019



This is the texture I made for a background in class. I wet the paper, added a blue-green color and added large salt and table salt when the paper was still shiny/wet but not puddles.  I allowed the paper to dry and then removed the salt.  The next step is to transfer the turtles.

This is a background I had ready with the turtles transferred.  I then painted watercolor onto the turtles.


I added a tiny area of colored pencil using mostly white, a little orange and some blue in the background on the right side fin and neck of the top turtle.  I will demo much more colored pencil during the next class.

I painted each pepper separately.  The yellow pepper was first.  I wet the pepper and stem, dropped in warm and cool yellow and a tiny bit of warm red on the left side.  I added green and some warm red to the stem.   I used watercolor pencil and a piece of sand paper to add the dots of green (it's a texture process called sanding).  I then painted the red pepper with watercolor pencil.  I wet the pepper, used sanding to add the color and then spread it with a brush.  On the stem I shaded the watercolor pencil on dry paper and spread it with a brush.   There are several other techniques to add watercolor pencil (I will go over them again in one of the classes).  I painted the green pepper by wetting the pepper and using a cool and a warm green.


I added the background.  I mixed a gray.  Gray is made by mixing the 3 primaries and leaning it toward the blue.  Brown is made by mixing the 3 primaries and leaning it toward red and yellow.  I wet the paper and dropped in the gray moving it around the paper.  I then dropped in some of the yellow, red and green used in the peppers.  I added a bit more gray on the bottom and added the color of the pepper in its cast shadow.  The shadows faded a bit more than I wanted so I may redo them with watercolor before staring on the colored pencil.