8/30/17

DAC Beg. Colored Pencil, September 2017

Colored pencil on white Stonehenge paper.  This is what I had done before class.  I used canary yellow on the leaves and stem.  I colored them all in yellow, very lightly.  I used pomegranate on the flower paying attention to value and texture as shaded.

This is how it looked at the end of class.  I finished shading the flower and lightened it a little using the poster putty.

Colored pencil on toned gray Strathmore paper.   This is how it looked before class.  I used white for the highlights and black grape for the darks.  For this one pay attention to the values, the lights, mediums and darks.

This is how it looked after putting in the values. 

This is how it looked at the end of class.  Remember for demonstration and time purposes I worked on the head only.  Normal procedure is to work all over building it up as a unit.  You can see on the neck how first I added yellow and scarlet lake in light layers.  I did quite a few of these layers.  Then, I added cadmium orange hue in the mix and continued building layers.  Then I used white on the highlights and light areas.  I used scarlet lake on the reddish areas.  Then I added black grape in the dark areas.  I will keep refining as I go with these colors making adjustments  to color and value as needed.  Towards the end I used white to add the feather texture.  On the  dark part of the beak I had added some of the yellow and scarlet lake.  I then used indigo blue to darken the beak.