11/11/16

Sertoma CW October and November 2016

I worked on the face a bit more adding some shadows, adding the other eye.  Still need more shadows on the face.  Added a dark (mixed) to the hair.  Started with a light version and will darken areas as I go.
Wax paper texture.  I wet the surface, dropped in color, and laid the crumpled wax paper on the surface and put a book on top leaving it there until it dries.
Salt texture.  I wet the surface, dropped in color and added salt, both fine table salt and larger sea salt.  I applied the salt when the surface was shiny, but not puddles.  I knocked the salt off after it was dry.
Plastic wrap texture.  I wet the surface, dropped in color, and laid the plastic wrap on the surface.  you can move the plastic around until you get a design pattern you like.  Leave it until it's dry.

Transferred the drawing making sure it was a little dark and would be seen after the texture was applied.  Put masking fluid on the cow's white spots (both cows).  After dry, I wet the grass area, dropped in color, and applied salt (fine table salt and larger sea salt).  I applied the salt when the surface was shiny but not puddles.  After that was dry I knocked off the salt and painted the back cow with a mixed dark and the front cow head.  You can make dark with things like indigo and a dark brown or alizarin and pthalo green or by mixing the 3 primaries (how dark it is depends on how dark the colors used are and what color the dark is depends on proportions of the colors used to make it).  I did not paint the cow's body so I could make grass textures with masking into the cow body while it's the same color as the grass.