1/7/16

Continuing Watercolor (January and February 2016)

I transferred the drawing onto the paper using graphite paper.  Make sure it is fairly dark.  I then wet the background and over the leaves and branches (no water on the flower).  I mixed a grey and a green and also used some yellow and orange.  I dropped the color and guided it on the paper.  When the paper was still wet, shiny, no puddles, I added salt (you can use different kinds and sizes).

I dampened the flower and used a permanent/quinacridone rose with a tiny bit of blue mixed in.  I then painted the petals paying attention to the values, the lights and darks.  This is the first pass, there will be another.  Next I painted a leaf with a dark green I mixed and ran some yellow down the middle and on the sides.  I also painted a branch with a mixed brown, I painted the branch dark on the left and ran alongside on the right with a clean, damp paintbrush.

I transferred the drawing onto the paper using graphite paper.  Make sure it is fairly dark.  I used masking fluid on parts of the wolf to retain some of the white hair texture and on the eye to keep it clean, I also did  the eyelashes.  Make the lines with masking as thin as you can.  I then wet the entire paper, front and back after the masking was dry.  I mixed a green and dropped it on the background.  I mixed some grey, one more brown and one more blue (burnt sienna mixed with either indigo or Prussian or ultramarine blue does well). I then painted the wolf going in the direction of his hair.  I mixed a black (with a blue and brown) and painted the nose and around the eye.  I painted burnt sienna on the face and on an ear.