5/15/15

Exploring Abstraction (May/June 2015)Rubber Cement.

Blind contour, hand. I need to do a few more blind contours on here and then I can paint it as an abstract.  It has a nice variety of shapes and will most likely have a decent composition for starting.  Blind contours are a great way to start an abstract painting.

This is the transferred shapes from the magazine cutout.  Finding a composition in a magazine is a good way to start an abstract.

Doodles.  Most people doodle.  Our doodles are unique to each of us.  I have used these often in abstracts and realistic paintings.

Plastic wrap texture.  This is  a technique to add texture to a painting - abstract or realistic.  It can also be used as the start of an abstract.  The paper tore as I was removing the plastic wrap and I like the tears, they are a good addition (mistakes/accidents can be wonderful).  You make these by wetting the paper, dropping in color (watercolor, thinned acrylic, or gouache), and pressing plastic wrap onto it and wrinkling it up a bit.  Let it stay until dry.

Rubber Cement.  This has a few more layers.  This is a technique I use for backgrounds, in realistic paintings, and to start abstracts.  For me this is fun and I do these often.

Splatter and drip - this is just a meesy texture technique and can be used to start an abstract.  I glaxed the yellow after it was dry.

Sponging.  I use sponging in paintings for texture or as backgrounds most often.  I glazed the pink after it was dry.

This is just painting with color and texture onto damp paper.

This is a print/press of the one above with a glaze of pink after it was dry.

This is a texture rubbing (placed the paper over an item, rubber it with a #2 pencil).  Leaves work well for this.  I glazed the yellow acrylic over the top and tore the paper while it was wet to get the nice organic edge.  I could use this for collage.

Wax paper texture.  This is  a technique to add texture to a painting - abstract or realistic.  It can also be used as the start of an abstract as well.  You make these by wetting the paper, dropping in color (watercolor, thinned acrylic, or gouache), and pressing crinkled wax paper onto it and weighing it down with some books.  Let it stay until dry.

Wet-in-wet techniwue with salt for texture.  I wet the paper and dropped in color.  Whe  the paper was shiny, but not puddles, I added the salt.