5/28/15

Exploring Abstraction (May and June 2015)

This is caulk added with no squishing using my doodle shapes.  Caulk can be put on paper, cardboard, canvas, foam core, masonite, etc.

Caulk added to cardboard in diagonals and then scraped.

Caulk added with my hand to create the texture.

Caulk added thickly, pressed with my hand, and scrapped with a tool with a serrated edge.

This is the caulk texture I did at home and was dry for class.  I added very wet acrylic.  If I was going to work in watercolor I would paint this with absorbent ground first and then use watercolor.

This is the composition I drew based on the magazine clipping.  I have added some more color and value.  I splattered some white.

This is the rubber cement abstract I have been working on at home.  It has a ways to go.

This is the rubber cement from class.  I added a second pass of rubber cement squiggle and brush marks and then added yellow paint.
Acrylic Skins.  I did these on freezer paper.  I had to leave these at Sertoma (way to wet to take home).  So this is a photo of it wet and after it had run together a bit.  The bottom white shape will be clear with blue lines and yellow dots.  The white up higher is white paint.  Anyway, make batches of these both transparent and opaque.  For transparent skins use polymer medium, matte medium, pouring medium, or etc. (something that dries clear) and add dots of color into the mediums and move it around.  You can also make opaque skins with paint colors.


This is the entire wax paper texture with the marker at the top.  I think marker will work well on this piece.

This is a close up of the wax paper texture with black marker.  For class I used Sharpies, but on my art I use good drawing markers such as Micron Pigma, Faber-Castell, etc.