11/21/14

Continuing Watercolor (November & December 2014)

I worked on this a bit at home.  I added value and color to the top and started to add another strand of lights.  It's close to finished, a bit more needed on the background.

I worked on this at home adding some darks to the face and bottom of the body and lightening in-between the spots (I did this with white gouache and scrubbing).

In class I added a glaze of green gold.  Without green gold I would have mixed a yellow green as my glaze.  I seem to have missed a few spots, so I will need to glaze those.

First I wet the paper (very wet), dropped in color, and when the paper was slightly shiny, no puddles, I added sea salt.  Then I let it dry.  I transferred the drawing.  I mixed a brown for the skin (brown madder or burnt sienna and indigo works well).  The then started painting his face, paying attention to the values on his skin.  I then painted the hat with a dark, keeping a highlight in front.  I used cobalt blue to paint the shirt paying attention the the values (I usually put in the dark and then pull the color out with a clean, damp brush). 
Plastic wrap texture.  I wet the paper, added color, put plastic wrap on top and scrunched it, let it dry. 

I did a orange red glaze over the radish (except the white spot which needs to be softened...).  I added a purple red shadow on the radish.  I added a little dark right under the radish.  I added texture to the leaves and glazed the top leaf with green gold.