9/25/14

Continuing Watercolor (September & October 2014)

I worked on this a bit between classes.  I lifted and softened a few areas (water and a brush and paper towel).

I added some shadows and blue (cobalt) to the background.

I worked on this a bit between class.  I added red and indigo to the center.  Indigo only in the dark areas.  I used cobalt and a small brush to add lines for the stamen.  I added red dots for the ends of the stamen.  I darkened in between 2 petals (bottom left) and a little on the bottom right too.  I added a few more shadows to the petals.

I darkened around the petals and a little on the yellowish triangles between the petals.  I added a leaf and stem but it was too wet and is barely visible anymore.

I worked on her between class adding more darks and a few details in the value study stage.

I started to add color.  The skin is rose, aureolin yellow, and a tiny bit of cobalt.  The hair is a mixture of alizarin, burnt sienna, and indigo.  I painted it paying attention to shadows - notice the slight value shift from under the hat (darker) to the bottom and back of the hair (a bit lighter).  I painter the skin paying attention to slight value shifts and shadows..  I added cobalt to the hat as well as red to the ribbon on the hat.  I added red to the beads (to repeat the red in the hat).

This is the background for the gorilla.  I wet the paper and dropped in yellow and cobalt as well as indigo.  I let it flow and splattered, very fun.  I also added some salt.  I added splatters of red.  I was going to do plastic wrap but changed my mind.

This is a texture example.  I wet the paper, dropped in color, and laid down plastic wrap on the left side.  The 'bubbles' in the wrap make the light lines.  On the right side I laid down bubble wrap and placed something with some weight to hold it down. 

Texture painting with rubber cement.  I dribbled and brushed rubber cement onto dry paper.  Let it dry, wet the paper and dropped in color (yellow).  I let it dry and did another layer of rubber cement.  Let it dry and wet the paper adding more color (reds blues, yellows).  After this was dry I did another layer of rubber cement (this was the layer I demonstrated in class), let dry, and another layer of color.  Nest class I will remove the rubber cement.  This would work as a background for the gorilla as well.