9/10/14

Continuing Watercolor (September/October 2014)

I started with the yolk.  I 'moderately' wet the paper leaving a few small dry spots and dropped in a yellow mixture (perm. rose and aureolin as well as azo yellow when I ran out of aureolin).  I then added some red to the dark part of the yolk and some yellow to the light part at the top to create some value changes.  I let this dry.  I then moderately wet the egg white area and used gray to start adding shadows and details.  The gray was a mixture of perm. rose, aureolin yellow (thanks Mike) and cobalt.

First I used orange tinted masking fluid (thanks Maria) to put in the middle part of the flower.  After that was dry I wet the background area making the paper very wet.  I dropped in cobalt, indigo, aureolin yellow, and the greens these make mixed together.  BTW - the color change from top to bottom is more drastic in the photo than on the original.  I let the color move and flow together guiding it a bit.  I let this dry.  Then I put in the middle red part on dry paper.  I mixed the pwrm. rose with a little cobalt for the color.  I dropped in a bit of indigo to make a shadowed area.  Next I moderately wet the petals one by one using cobalt to make shadows.  I put a little of the red color at the base.  Next I mixed a yellow green with aureolin and a little cobalt.  I put this on the small parts between the petals and tipped those with rose.