2/20/14

Continuing Watercolor (Jan. and Feb. 2014)

I added more dark to the beak on the swan and reflection.  I worked more on the feather textures and shadow areas.  Those marks tend to be line, dots, and scribbles - more like drawing.  

I added lots of fur texture marks - lines and dots.  I varied the colors and values of these marks.  I worked on the eye and added dark whiskers (my background is light and light whiskers would not show well).

I used a skin color (you can use aureolin and quin. rose or something similar) and did a light value study for the first pass.  The second pass I mixed a few colors - skin color + cobalt to make a purple, skin color + burnt sienna to make a darker skin color.  I then went around with these colors to add more punch to the shadow areas.  Then I used cobalt and painted the water areas.  I mixed a black (pthalo green and perm. alizarin) and painted the glasses. Notice the value changes in the glasses...  I added a little black to the water on the glasses as well.