2/24/12

Watercolor Ground Workshop - Sertoma

Watercolor on Absorbent Ground (Golden Acrylic).  This is the magnolia I started in another workshop (GCWS) and worked on more at home.  I also worked on details in class with gouache.

Watercolor on Absorbent Ground (Golden Acrylic).  This is the magnolia I started in class.

Watercolor on Absorbent Ground.  This is the parrot I started at home (and was supposed to be done on Watercolor Ground (oops).

Watercolor on Watercolor Ground (Daniel Smith).  This is the parrot I started in class.

I find each ground slightly different to work with (and I very much like each for different reasons).  The WG is thicker and up to 10% water can be added.  It is more textured when applied.  It lifts fairly well.  It can be applied to more surfaces (such as metal and glass).  It holds an edge a little better and the graphite erases easier. The AG is thinner and up to 40% water can be added.  It does not lift easily and the graphite is hard to remove.  It has a lovely soft look and a smoother texture to work on.