2/15/19

DAC MM Jan and Feb 2019

I worked more on the turtle.  I am adding light to the tops. I am popping the areas around their heads more then their tails using more detail and values around the heads.  I will work in the background as needed for value and to calm any texture that is distracting.

I started this with cream and white laying in the light areas.  If this were not a demo I would have used the white and cream all over the face and hair and clothes before adding color.  Using the side of a sharpened terra cotta pencil I lightly shaded the skin.  Using black cherry, terra cotta and dark brown I started laying in the dark areas. (these colors can be substituted with black grape or indigo, sienna brown, dark umber or sepia for example).  I also added scarlet lake for some of the warm red areas and a little cadmium orange as well in some areas.  I then chose an area to do a little more finish work - the area around the nose, cheeks and mouth.  I used all the same colors as before with the addition of peach. I layered the colors paying attention to values and used the peach to smooth the areas.  I used the white in highlights and then added more darks as needed. I often work light, then dark, then light etc. as I layer which helps smooth it out.  But the layers in the beginning and middle of the process are light so I do not over saturate the paper. We will continue in the next class.

This started as the dark watercolor background.  I transferred the drawing with white transfer paper.  I then used white and cream to lay in the light values.  I will go over the next layers in the next class.