6/17/14

NCBG Gouache (June 2014)

Plastic wrap texture. This texture was created by wetting the surface, dropping in color, and while it's still wet I laid plastic wrap on it scrunching the wrap into shapes and in the direction I wanted.  This background was done specifically for the dogwood demo.

I cropped the background to the size I needed.

I transferred the drawing and then used only white on the flower for my first layer.  I mixed a brown and did the branches.  I allowed this to dry.  I did a second layer of white (often 2-5 layers are needed, especially in the lightest areas).  I added some color to the white and started adding a few details on the petals.I added some white to the k=light areas on the branches

The left side is a method of blowing the paint (I used a straw, a blow dryer works well).  The right side is called sanding.  I wet the rectangle and used rough sand paper and watercolor pencils.  I sanded the pencil over the wet area and the dotted texture is created.  When I use this I use it towards the end on my last pass of washes.

On the left side is wax paper texture.  I wet the paper, dropped in color,  crumpled the wax paper a little, and laid it on top with something like a book to press it down.  Do not remove until it is dry.  On the right is plastic wrap texture.  This texture was created by wetting the surface, dropping in color, and while it's still wet I laid plastic wrap on it scrunching the wrap into shapes and in the direction I wanted.  Do not remove until it is dry.

Rubber cement texture, first layer.  I drizzled and brushed rubber cement on the paper.  After dry I wet the paper and dropped in color.  I plan to do at least 2 more layers.

Salt texture.  I wet the surface, dropped in color, and when the surface is shiny, not puddles, I drop in salt (when the paper is thin and not stretched this is done in sections as the paper dries).  I used a large salt and a fine salt - you can see the different texture it makes.