1/16/14

Continuing Watercolor (January & February 2014)

I mixed a blue green (pthalo blue and pthalo green) and added in a little burnt sienna to tone it down a bit.  I also wet some indigo.  I then wet the background.  I put the color in using horizontal strokes.  I varied the values.  I added some stokes of yellow as well in areas. 

I wet the chick and added color paying attention to the values.  I added the eye, fixing it and a few other areas on the second pass with white gouache.  I added more texture, detail and value moving round the chick.  I wet the bottom ground/shadow to anchor the chick and dropped in a brown and a green and allowed some of this onto the chicks feet.  It needs a bit more work.

I wet the egg and used a brown color to lay in the shadow area feathering the shadow area outward.  After it dried I added the cast shadow underneath the egg.