9/5/18

DAC Colored Pencil August, September October, 2018

I did more on the seed pod.  Remember start with dark brown and white and concentrate on the values (the darks and lights).  I used white, pomegranate and scarlet lake on the seeds and copenhagen blue in the shadows of the seed pod and on the seeds.  I used terra cotta on the seed pod and lightly in the background.  I used ginger root and yellow chartreuse on the bottom of the seed pod, lightly added.  You do not need either of these colors if you do not have them.  Substituting colors is fine as well.  Since this is a demonstration piece I am keeping unfinished areas for possible future demonstrations.  I would normally finish each step completely before moving on.

Start this with white and do a value study in white.  You can do one bird if you prefer.  If this were not a demonstration piece I would finish the white before moving on to color. When I added color I did so lightly using the side of the pencil.  I used copenhagen blue, light aqua, true blue and white in the blue areas.  I used canary yellow, spanish orange, terra cotta, dark brown, peach and white in the face and beak area.  I will go over the color areas with white as needed to reestablish the highlights.  Later I started adding black.  In the feathers note the dark to light gradation in the black and the color that is also in there (I used aqua).  I will demonstrate more next class.